|We may look after one of the largest Greenspaces in the
province, but that doesn't mean we take it easy on being Green.
Blackwell Park Operations is committed to trying to do business
in an environmentally friendly way, while still offering you a
clean, safe and enjoyable camping, canoeing, and hiking
Some of ways we try to be Green:
• By using solar and wind power to supply electricity (instead of
generators) at our remote locations
• By using less polluting Honda fourstroke outboard motors and
• By using a natural solution of vinegar, salt and biodegradable
soap to control weeds, avoiding chemicals altogether and reducing the
need for gas powered landscaping equipment
• By using environmentally friendly cleaning products, such as AIO and
Apriza from Zep Manufacturing.
• We use waste reduction enzymes and bacterial products, like Sanizyme
and BioBathroom from Zep Manufacturing, that reduce the need
to remove sewage from the park and dump it in landfills.
• By using paper products that contain a percentage of recycled material.
• By using office supplies from Frogfile - the green office supply.
• By offering you more opportunities to recycle. This year we will
double the availability of recycling bins, next year we will add
• By running modern, well serviced vehicles, and running them less.
Newer vehicles pollute less than comparable ones manufactured even
just 10 years ago. We are exploring the use of electric and hybrid
vehicles for some duties - hopefully we can have them on the road in
the next year or so.
How can you help us go greener?
• Recycle what you bring with you - we still remove about 60% of the
refundable containers disposed of in the park from trash cans.
• Bring less, and take it home when you go. The more garbage you bring
into the park, the more we have to deposit in landfills - buy smart, pack
smart, and take all your recyclables back to your local community
• Hike and canoe more, drive and powerboat less - it’s that simple.
• Get rid of your old generators and switch your RV to solar - you’ll
annoy your neighbours less and go greener.
• Don’t litter - and pick up other people's when you see it.
• Have smaller campfires, and have them less often.
And most important of all “take nothing but
pictures, leave nothing but footprints”.
|If you have any questions about our
green policies, or would like to make
suggestions to make things even better -
drop us an email.