We may look after one of the largest green spaces in the province, but that doesn’t mean we take it easy on being green.
Blackwell Park Operations is committed to trying to do business in an environmentally friendly way, while still offering you a clean, safe, and enjoyable camping, canoeing, and hiking experience.
- By using solar and wind power to supply electricity (instead of generators) at our remote locations
- By using a micro-hydro system at Clearwater Lake
- By using less polluting Honda four-stroke outboard motors and landscaping equipment
- By using a natural solution of vinegar, salt and biodegradable soap to control weeds, avoiding chemicals altogether and reducing the need for gas powered landscaping equipment
- By using environmentally friendly cleaning products, such as AIO and Apriza from Zep Manufacturing
- We use waste reduction enzymes and bacterial products, like Sanizyme and BioBathroom from Zep Manufacturing, that reduce the need to remove sewage from the park and dump it in landfills
- By using paper products that contain a percentage of recycled material
- By using office supplies from Frogfile – the green office supply
- By offering you more opportunities to recycle. This year we will double the availability of recycling bins, next year we will add even more
- By running modern, well serviced vehicles, and running them less. Newer vehicles pollute less than comparable ones manufactured even just 10 years ago. We are exploring the use of electric and hybrid vehicles for some duties – hopefully we can have them on the road in the next year or so
- Recycle what you bring with you – we still remove about 60% of the refundable containers disposed of in the park from trash cans
- Bring less, and take it home when you go. The more garbage you bring into the park, the more we have to deposit in landfills – buy smart, pack smart, and take all your recyclables back to your local community recycling program
- Hike and canoe more, drive and powerboat less – it’s that simple
- Get rid of your old generators and switch your RV to solar – you’ll annoy your neighbours less and go greener
- Don’t litter – and pick up other people’s when you see it
- Have smaller campfires, and have them less often
“Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.”
If you have any questions about our green policies, or would like to make suggestions to make things even better – drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.